Our mission is to minimize people’s exposure to environmental hazards, dispose safely of all waste, and draw lessons towards a national disaster management plan
Our action goals therefore are to:
- Identify, assess, and monitor potential environmental hazards.
- Identify populations at the highest risk (e.g., civil defense, volunteers, relief workers).
- Develop and implement preventive and cautionary measures.
- Ensure safe and proper disposal of rubble and all waste (glass, wood, metal).
- Develop the foundations for a National Disaster Management plan.
- Collected and stored air, dust, and rubble samples to be analyzed in laboratories inside and outside Lebanon (depending on local capacity) for asbestos, lead, organic chemical, and other toxic material.
- Developed a preliminary sampling strategy for different potential toxic material.
- Initiated contacts and consultations with environmental experts in Lebanon and with select environmental agencies outside Lebanon.
- Developed guidelines to ensure safety and health of community members exposed to high risk with the World Health Organization.